Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Walk to Simply BE

Today I walked. I walked a lot. For two and a half hours, I wandered around the Charles River, through the crowds and with the crowds as everyone looked on at the Head of the Charles Regatta in the River. I observed jackets and sweatshirts and hats of individuals and entire groups as they walked around, finding people from all sorts of places around the country (and a couple other parts of the world). Listening to some upbeat music with headphones as I walked, I just was.

I didn't overthink anything, I didn't contemplate spiritual matters, I didn't stress about my classes, I didn't think too much about friends or family. I was just walking, letting brief thoughts of the moment pass into and out of my mind, wondering if I'd encounter anyone I knew, but not really expecting to.

I was just being. And it was okay to just be.

I spend so much time thinking about who I am and how I am, thinking about where I am spiritually and academically, and where I'd like to be. It's important to take a break sometimes! I felt more centered with myself today. This is a slow process, but it's ok, I don't have to know everything right now.

Love and Light,
Claire

3 Comments:

Blogger Aj Schwanz said...

Have you read Madeleine L'Engel's "Circle of Quiet"? She talks a lot about 'being' - your entry reminded me of her work: quite lovely.

24/10/05 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Claire,
I might have said this in any earlier comment, but I don't think so. I walked a great deal when I was in college (along the Upper Iowa River). What you seem to call "simply being", I often thought of as "learning to not think and not know". It always felt good to do this. Blessings, Andrew

25/10/05 11:25 AM  
Blogger James Chang said...

I am very glad that you have been tasting from this stream of living water. It takes a lot of courage, wisdom and love to just be oneself. Have you read Fromm? He wrote excellent books on the mode of being ("To Have or To Be," "the Art of Being" and "The Sane Society," to name a few.)

25/10/05 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger